I borrowed the idea of GratiTuesday from a good friend of mine, La. I’m sure someone else initially thought of it but she is my inspiration today. I love the idea of GratiTuesday because I love the idea of practicing random gratitude.
The crazy thing about gratitude is that the more you practice it, the better you feel. It’s amazing how just focusing a few minutes on the positive can help you feel better for hours. The practice of that focus throughout the day can change your day. But the trick is remembering to practice and remembering to retrain your thoughts when you fall out of practice.
I want to focus on gratitude today because today is not going according to plan. I am a planner. I live and die by my calendar and I do well with routines. I’ve mentioned before that I’m not great with time so I have alarms and systems created to keep me on track. This Tuesday, nothing is quite right.
- I usually work from home on Tuesdays but I have to go in for meetings.
- I have meetings (meaning not productive time in my head) from 9:30a-12:30p.
- We ran out of coffee this morning so I’m decaffeinated.
- I left early to grab coffee on the way but I didn’t leave early enough.
- I actually did end up having time but by the time I figured that out I was on the ferry & I’m too snobby for their coffee.
- I go for short hikes on Tuesday when I’m at home but that doesn’t work from the office.
- I have a silent ferry buddy & we talked this morning (this is mostly just an issue because it adds to the things that are different today)
- I usually have quiet “goal time” set aside and I’m not doing it today because I’m headed into work.
Today is the perfect day to lose my head over how everything is wrong, Wrong, WRONG! But instead, I’m going to be grateful.
- Grateful that I get to see my coworkers another day this week. They’re pretty rad.
- Grateful that I get to watch the sunrise over the sound on my ferry today. That never gets old.
- Grateful that I was early and didn’t stress over missing my ferry.
- Grateful that I have a reason to go get an almond milk latte today.
- Grateful that I have a job and they really want me in those meetings.
- Grateful that I have the mental capacity to live outside my routine.
- Grateful that I get to set my out of office which means I get a break from my day to day work.
- Grateful that I get to learn new things and engage in a different experience.
- Grateful that I am healthy.
- Grateful that I get to go into Seattle and see all the spring flowers along the way.
I had a fantastic weekend with friends. I have a lovely birthday celebration with Colby. I snuggled with the pets last night. Dinner was super tasty. My bed is comfy. I fell asleep to the sound of the waves on the beach. My life is awesome. I really could keep going….
There are 8 things I can count that make today “harder” than normal in my head and countless things that make today awesome. It’s just a day and I get to choose how to receive it. Just the act of writing this out has made me feel better about it. Today is going to be a good day and by the time I go to bed I’m going to be so grateful for having had this day.
How do you practice? Do you have a list? Do you set reminders?